Information for Foreign National Applicants


To begin or continue working for the Government of Alberta, you must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or have a valid work permit issued by the Government of Canada.

Persons with/eligible for a work permit can be considered for both permanent and temporary employment. However:

  • Employment cannot commence until the appropriate documentation has been issued by the Government of Canada, including a positive Labour Market Opinion (if necessary) and a valid work permit.

  • Foreign workers employed by the Government of Alberta in both permanent and temporary positions must respect all the conditions of their work permits including the expiry date.

Information and Resources:

Working Temporarily in Canada

Citizenship and Immigration Canada provides information on working temporarily in Canada.

International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)

For individuals who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada, it is recommended that you obtain an evaluation of your credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) and include the IQAS assessment certificate as part of your application.

Immigrating to Alberta

Information and resources about living and working in Alberta, including the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program.

Immigrating to Canada

Citizenship and Immigration Canada provides information on immigration programs and how to apply.

Newcomer Services

Information about the immigration process for Alberta and Canada, as well as programs and services designed to help newcomers before and after they arrive.